Compulsary Basic Training

Get on two wheels

All persons wishing to ride a motorcycle or moped must pass compulsory basic training (CBT). You then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take CBT again.

It can be completed on an automatic scooter or manual motorcycle. Fat Boy Motorcycle Training can provide you with either machine.  *Students will need to provide their own safety gear. Helmet, Jacket and gloves that meet current safety requirements and standards.

With our team of DVSA approved instructors, whose aim is to turn you into one of the most competent riders on the roads.
It all starts with the CBT, so why not get in touch today and start your journey?

What does the course involve?

The start time for training is either 8am or 10am at Hedge End and 9am at Gosport and Verwood, and students are required to be on site 15-30 minuets prior to this. Finish times are not set as guaranteed, as this is dependent on students capability to show competence in each element in sequence before moving on to the next element.

Before arriving for your CBT you MUST have read and understood the Highway Code.

Compulsory basic training (CBT) has 5 elements:

Why Learn with Fatboy?

Play Video


Unless you passed your driving test before 1st February 2001, you will need to complete Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) in order to ride any motorcycle of any size. If you passed a driving test prior to the above date you may be entitled to ride a 50cc moped only.

CBT is not something that you can pass or fail.  You will gain your certificate when our trainers are satisfied that you have

  • Learnt the theory for each element in sequence
  • Shown the practical skills to a safe basic level for each element in sequence

If you need some extra time, this may need to be arranged at extra cost.

Your CBT Certificate will cover you for 2 years.  If you don’t pass a full motorcycle test before then, you will need to retake your CBT.

Yes, of course!  If you need to do a CBT before completing MOD1, MOD2, or DAS training, just get in touch and we can organise adding the CBT into your training course.

Yes, your CBT will allow you to ride a moped or 125cc motorcycle (depending on your age), as long as L plates are prominently displayed on your bike.

We will provide a motorbike, fuel, and insurance.  Due to COVID-19 Restrictions, you will need to bring your own helmet, gloves, and jacket.

You will need, as a minimum, to wear a helmet, gloves, jacket and jeans.  If you have protective motorcycle trousers and shoes as well – even better!

CBT Course

Book your CBT

get in touch